Monday, November 12, 2012

Mason Justin Evers


He’s here!   Mason Justin Evers was born October 19th, 2012 at 9:48pm.  He weighed 9 pounds even and was 19 ¾ inches long – a big boy!  Everything went great with labor and delivery and we are enjoying our sweet little bundle of joy.
It is such a relief to not be pregnant anymore. I was miserable at the very end and every time I look at my profile picture the day of my doctor’s appointment, I cringe. Friday, October 19th we had another doctor’s appointment and we had decided earlier in the week to just be induced that day since Kate would be in school – thinking it would only take a couple hours for Mason to be born.
We went to my appointment as scheduled and were sent to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital from there, around 10:30am. When we arrived, my mom and dad met us in the waiting room and we all waited while they worked on the paperwork to admit me. Around 11:30 or so we got into a room (actually the room right next door to where I was when I delivered Kate) and I got hooked up to monitors. Sheridan (the midwife) promised not to break my water until I had my epidural in place so the waiting began for the anesthesiologist. After a couple hours, my epidural was in place and then we waited once again for Sheridan to come in and break my water. Apparently, that Friday was a busy day to have a baby.
My water was broken around 3:00 in the afternoon and we waited once again for labor to begin. When it didn’t progress, I received pitocin to get the contractions to become more intense and closer together. The afternoon turned into evening and hour after hour passed without much action. I had plenty of great company with me in the room – my parents, the Evers, Uncle Jordan and Aunt Katie, and Kate joined the party around 5:00.
Finally around 9:30 or so our Sheridan came in to check me, and quickly had to jump into action.She had asked Justin if he wanted to assist in the delivery earlier that afternoon so both of them rushed to get scrubs on in time since Mason was coming whether they were ready or not. My mom, Aunt Katie, and Marilyn were all in the room so Mason had a big welcoming party when he made his grand entrance.Daddy did get a great job delivering him and I’m so glad he had the opportunity to do that – how neat!
Waiting on Mason...


 My sweet girl - she was so well behaved in the hospital, considering she was there from 5:00pm to almost midnight.  Thank goodness Aunt Katie brought her iPad - a lifesaver!
 
 Love at first sight.

 So handsome in his scrubs.
 Sheridan, our midwife. 

 And pictures of the proud family...


 
 I love how bright-eyed Mason is in this picture with my dad.

 
 
I owe a huge thank you to Aunt Katie to taking so many pictures that day!
My sleepy boys.
 
We didn't decide on a name until Saturday (the day after Mason was born) and once it was decided, we called the Social Security people immediately and made it official before either one of us could have second thoughts. Several friends told me the name would "come to us" but that didn't happen like I had hoped.  There were several contenders (too many) but we finally narrowed it down to two names - Trent or Mason (the only two Justin and I could both agree on) and guess who made the final decision?  Big sister!  We asked her which one she liked and she said Mason.
 
Kate loves her little brother, but she doesn't pay him much attention right now.  I'm thankful she's not jealous, but it's interesting watching her reaction to him.  She gives him a kiss every morning when she wakes up and every evening before bed, but other than that she doesn't bother him.  Mason looks just like Kate did and both kids look like their daddy.

Mason
Kate
 
Don't they look alike?
 
It's been an adjustment going back to having a newborn - sleepless nights, trying to interpret cries, and learning how to change a little boy - but it's all worth it. 

2 comments:

Melissa said...

You've been a busy girl, getting all caught up in your lives of late! Love them all and you four...again, I am so happy for you all and for your beautiful home...such a sweet, sweet, family!

Sabrina said...

Congrats Rebecca! He is a cute, big boy! The way you write about labor, and your pre/post pictures make it look very comfortable;) You just hear so many different stories. Enjoy your babies!
Sabrina

Happy Father's Day!

I want to wish this special guy a Happy Father's Day!  One day Kate and Mason will realize how lucky they are to call him dad.  He coac...