Thursday, November 22, 2012

One Month Old!

Mason is one month old!  He is a little more challenging than Kate was at this age, but Justin and I are quickly learning the difference between his needs and his preferences.  
  • My little man is growing fast.  He is already out of newborn clothes and is now in size 1 diapers.  Several 0-3 month clothing is still too big on him but there are certain brands that fit him great (Just One Year by Carters and Gerber).  I think he is around 10 pounds already (Kate was 10 pounds when she was 3 months old) but we don’t go to the doctor for his one month appointment until next Monday. 
  • I’m nursing, but Mason is a big boy with a big appetite.  I try to stretch feeding time out to every two and a half to three hours and usually Mason will stick to that schedule, but it isn’t uncommon for him to decide to eat within two hours.

  • Sleeping is the biggest challenge and the night time is my least favorite part of the day, only because I never know how it's going to go.  Justin is always willing to help, but there’s only so much he can do so I try to let him sleep as much as possible.  If it were up to Mason, he would be held all day long, which includes while he sleeps.  It’s amazing how he will be sound asleep on you and the second we put him down, he wakes up crying.  We struggled with swaddling him, but after forcing it several times, Mason seems to have adapted.  He definitely doesn’t like it as much as his sister did, but at least now he is sleeping in his bassinet and not on his daddy at night.

  • The car seat is Mason’s least favorite thing.  We wait until the last minute to put him in the car seat and it’s not uncommon for him to cry until we get to our destination.  Sometimes he falls asleep on the way or there has been a rare occasion where he doesn’t cry at all – but those have been few and far between.  The mornings seem to be the best time to get out with him, but there have been a couple mornings that I regretted leaving the house.  As difficult as it can be to get out, I think it would be worse if we never left.     
 
  • Bath time has become one of his favorite things.  He can be crying and as soon as we turn on the faucet, he stops.  It’s funny how content he is to hang out in the bathtub – just relaxing.  I leave him in the tub until the water gets cool and he never likes it when I take him out. 
I’m struggling with getting a routine established and it might still be a little early.  I read and re-read the Baby Wise book every couple days to make sure I’m on the right path to getting a schedule created but it’s still a work in progress.
 
Kate loves her little brother and she reminds me that she’s a big sister.  Thankfully his crying doesn’t seem to bother her and in the car, she’ll talk to him and say “It’s ok Mason”, trying to console him.  It’s going to be fun watching them interact the older he gets. I love my sweet little boy and can’t imagine life without him!
 
I took this picture next to his giraffe - a gift from Mailin.  Every day I put him in his crib for a little time to "talk" to his friend like I did with Kate.  Some days he lasts several minutes and other days he doesn't have anything to say.
 

One Month Old!
 
We love you Mason!

No comments:

Happy Father's Day!

I want to wish this special guy a Happy Father's Day!  One day Kate and Mason will realize how lucky they are to call him dad.  He coac...