Friday, April 5, 2013

Chick-fil-a

Tonight was one of those times I just sigh and say, "why me?".  I was feeling adventurous so I took the kids to Chick-fil-a by myself (daddy was doing yard work).  They were both so well behaved and I was thinking "this is going great, we should do it more often".  Kate ate most of her dinner and then took off to the play area while Mason and I sat nearby watching all the kids play.  After we had been there about 20 minutes, the Chick-fil-a cow came out, which scared Kate to death.  She kept her eye on every move the cow made from a safe distance and then would walk over to our table and tell me she didn't like it.  I told her the cow wouldn't bother her but I don't think she believed me.  At one point, the cow had to walk outside, and we just happened to be sitting by the door, so Kate started screaming and jumped up on the table and scattered food everywhere trying to get in my lap.  That scene caused alot of heads to turn but it paled in comparison to what she did later.

Kate had gone back in the play area (I told her the cow wouldn't go in there) and she soon came back out to tell me she had to go potty.  I sighed, trying to mentally prepare for how I was going to accomplish this task. As I started to stand up with Mason, I saw Kate go all over herself.  I think a lot of it had to do with that fact that she had been so scared of the cow that she held it until she couldn't anymore. I held Mason and frantically rushed over to the counter to get as many napkins as I could.  As I grabbed them, I looked up and saw Kate standing in the middle of the restaurant - NAKED from the waste down.  Talk about embarrassing.  I had to keep from laughing because honestly, it was funny.  Still holding Mason, I bent down and started mopping up the floor while Kate announced in a loud voice "Mommy, I had an accident; Mommy, I took my panties off" .  By then, if everyone in Chick-fil-a hadn't noticed us before, they certainly did now.  I was so focused on getting the floor cleaned that I let Kate stand there for several minutes - still naked. A sweet lady came over and asked if she could help me by holding Mason and I took her up on her offer.

Looking back, I'm really proud of myself for handling the situation the way I did.  I didn't get frazzled; I just calmly cleaned the floor and eventually made Kate put her panties back on to we could walk out with what little bit of dignity we had left.  I buckled up Mason and said thank you to the sweet lady and walked out while Kate shouted "Mommy, I'd like an ice cream please".  I can only imagine what the people in the drive thru thought when they saw Kate walk outside on this crisp night in nothing but a long sleeved shirt, wet underwear and tennis shoes.  Of coarse I didn't have a change of clothes with me so I just made do with what I had and rushed home.   

If you ever hear a story about a little girl who stripped down naked in a Chick-fil-a, I can reassure you it's a true story.  I lived it, unfortunately.  I'm sure this won't be the last time one of the kids embarrasses me, but at least I can laugh about it.  I will never look at the Chick-fil-a on Capital Circle NE the same again.

No comments:

Happy Father's Day!

I want to wish this special guy a Happy Father's Day!  One day Kate and Mason will realize how lucky they are to call him dad.  He coac...