Thursday, April 18, 2013

6 Months Old

My little man is now 6 months old and growing fast! He hasn’t changed too much since his 5 month update other than he can now sit up on his own like a big boy. He’s not completely stable, but he’s getting stronger every day. Mason is one of the sweetest babies and loves to snuggle! He can be very timid around people he doesn’t know and has often burst into tears if he sees an unfamiliar face.
I’m going to let him try rice cereal, hopefully this weekend, so there will be a later blog post about that adventure. Although he doesn’t have his six month checkup for another couple weeks, this eating machine is ready for some solid food. Mason is my chunky monkey, but I love that about him. There’s nothing better than a fat baby in my opinion. He is strictly on formula now and will drink about as much as you will allow him to.
Besides Chucky Monkey, Mason has been given several other nicknames such as: Maser, Masonater, Mase and Pancake (daddy’s). Kate loves to call him Masa (pronounced Mase-ah, not sure where she came up with that). He is a constant drooler but no teeth yet. Although he’s not ready for a haircut, he has a few really long hairs on the top of his head. I think it’s adorable but daddy has threatened to cut them. Kate’s hair stuck straight up at this age so at least Mason’s lays flat.
Mason is still not consistently sleeping though the night but it’s getting better. We have started lathering him up with lavender lotion at night since it seems to help him sleep more soundly. At this point I’ve been willing to try anything to get him to sleep all night. We pushed back his bedtime to 8 or 8:30 and for several nights he slept straight though until 6:30 or 7am without a peep. I get so spoiled on the nights he doesn’t wake up that when he does, I am feeling the effects the next day. He still flips overs onto his back when he’s not tired or when he wakes up in the middle of the night so daddy has started calling him pancake. If we are reading bedtime stories with Kate and hear Mason crying one of us usually says, “Hold on Kate, I have to go flip your brother over”. Overall, Mason is very easy to put down at bedtime and nap time. He wakes up happy and is content to lay in his bed, chewing on his blanket, until someone gets him up. 
Mason’s favorite person is Kate. He loves to watch her and laugh at her even when she isn’t paying him any attention. One of the funniest things she does to get Mason to laugh (and she doesn’t realize it) is to jump up and down. For whatever reason, that cracks him up. I love hearing his sweet little laugh – it always brightens my day. Gigi recently discovered that Sophie the Giraffe can also make Mason laugh out loud. He has always loved to chew on it, but now he also like to watch it and hear it squeak. Mason is also very ticklish – on the bottom of his feet, his thighs, his belly and his neck. All of those places make him giggle.
Mason is currently in 9 month clothes, 6 month sleepers and size 1 shoes. He wears size 3 diapers but as soon as we use the last one of those we are moving him up to size 4. I’m guessing he weighs around 18 pounds but it could be more – he is a chunkster. He still sucks his thumb when he is tired and he barely cries anymore in the car. Woo hoo! Mason is still sensitive when anyone takes his picture, but I guess that just captures Mason’s personality at this age. I tried my best to take some pictures and I didn’t have a whole lot of success, but I’ll share anyways!





"Look, no hands!"



  And because a photo shoot with Mason isn't complete without one of these...

 I think he looks a lot like me in these pictures!




"Whatcha think of this?"





Happy 6 Month Birthday Mason!

No comments:

Happy Father's Day!

I want to wish this special guy a Happy Father's Day!  One day Kate and Mason will realize how lucky they are to call him dad.  He coac...