Sunday, January 20, 2013

Sunday Funday at the Circus!

This afternoon, Justin and I took Kate to the circus and had a fantastic time.  I had no idea what to expect but it turned out to be really enjoyable!  I owe Gigi and Granddaddy a big thank you for keeping Mason!

 My little man at church - he looks so handsome (and grown up) in his polo shirt!
 We grabbed a quick bite to eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken before heading to the circus.  When we pulled into the parking lot, Kate told us she wasn't hungry and only wanted to go to the circus so she was going to stay in the car.  Needless to say we told her there were chicken nuggets at KFC and quickly decided to join us for lunch.
 Kate was talking all morning about going to the circus, but her demeanor quickly changed once we got inside the civic center and the show hadn't even started yet.  She clung to Justin and refused to open her eyes.  She kept shouting she didn't want to see the circus and didn't want to see the lions.  FYI - there weren't any lions.
 I finally pried her off of Justin and made her turn around and this is what she did...kept her eyes covered.  If I forced her to put her hands down, she just kept her eyes closed.  This continued for the first ten minutes of the show.  I wasn't sure what to do, but I knew she was acting ridiculous.
 So...I'm not proud of my next move and I certainly won't win the "mom of the year" award, but it was something I felt necessary (especially since we had paid a pretty penny for this event and I didn't want Kate to miss it).  We kept narrating to Kate what was going on and nothing was convincing her to open her eyes - even the camels and the horses.  I knew she would love it if she would give it a try so I took two fingers, placed one above and one below her eyelids, and forced her to open her eyes.  And guess what - ?!  I worked.  Surprise, surprise.  She can be so stubborn!
 Then she was glued to every minute of the circus.
 We had a great view!
 Having fun at intermission!  I'm glad I grabbed Kate and high tailed it to the bathroom as soon as the intermission started.  I forget how long the line in the women's bathroom can get at a big event like that and you don't want to be at the end of that line when you have a potty training three year old.  Plus the civic center bathrooms are some of the worst public bathrooms I have ever been in.  I feel germy just walking in there.  Kate did great holding it until it was our turn - next time I'm going to get Justin to take her.  There's never a line in the men's bathroom!
Some of my favorite things - the motorcycles in the sphere of death, the tight rope walkers and the elephants!  Kate's favorite things were the camels and the miniature ponies.  Good thing I forced her to open her eyes!



 Poor Kate crashed in the car after the circus and had a mini nap on our way to pick up Mason.


Before leaving, Granddaddy read Mason and Kate a couple stories.  So sweet!

No comments:

Happy Father's Day!

I want to wish this special guy a Happy Father's Day!  One day Kate and Mason will realize how lucky they are to call him dad.  He coac...