Saturday, January 19, 2013

Potty Trained!

One of the most urgent New Year's resolutions I had was getting Kate potty trained.  Most of her friends at church and at school are potty trained, but she never seemed bothered by that and proudly wore her pull ups.  Since daycare was closed for two days at New Years, I decided that would be the perfect time to put Kate through potty training boot camp.  Thankfully, Justin was home to help me with both kids and we put Kate in her big girls panties.  I had thought I would start off just letting her stay naked, but then decided that would be my backup plan if she consistently wet her big girl panties.  We pulled up all the rugs off the floor and only allowed her to play in the living room where the wood floors were.  We made sure there was a towel underneath her if she wanted to sit on the furniture and asked her every hour or so if she needed to potty.  We only had a few accidents at home and so far she hasn't had any accidents at school!
 
Kate has tackled going number one in the potty, but going number two has been a completely different issue.  For months, Kate has been holding in her poo-poo and I have come to learn it's not because she doesn't want to go on the potty, it's because she doesn't want to go at all - whether it's in a pull up or on the potty.  After talking to the doctor and the nurse, I have been reassured that this can be normal (unfortunately) in toddlers and we just have to wait it out.  
 
The first time we gave her medicine to force her to go, we also rewarded her.  Justin took her up to the store and she picked out a mini Cinderella and prince charming doll.  I was hoping going that one time on the potty and getting a toy would cure her fear, but it hasn't. So, liquid suppositories are now part of our routine every couple of days until Kate decides she wants to go on her own. Today I bought her a La-La-Loopsy doll and it's sitting up on the mantel in the living room.  I'm hoping if she constantly sees it, it will entice her!
 
Meanwhile, yesterday she put panties on several of her stuffed animals because she informed me she was potty training all of them....so cute. 
 
 
Despite her stubbornness, Justin and I are extremely proud of how well she is doing!

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

Laughed so hard at the Hello Kitty doll and her panties!

Happy Father's Day!

I want to wish this special guy a Happy Father's Day!  One day Kate and Mason will realize how lucky they are to call him dad.  He coac...