Tuesday, August 23, 2011

FSMS Conference 2011

I'm trying to play catch up again...things at work have been hectic (which is usual at this time of year) but it doesn't leave much time for my to blog when I get home. Fortunately I was able to take off three days from work and attend the Florida Surveying and Mapping Society Conference again this year in St. Augustine. Gigi and Granddaddy graciously went along with us so Kate and I would have some company. We had a great time, lots of shopping and pool time, but I was terrible at taking pictures. I always wish I would do better, but it's so hard to get a good picture of Kate at this age - she refuses to smile or look at the camera most of the time.

I tell my parents over and over how much I appreciate them coming with me - but I can not emphasize how nice it is to have their company!  Especially to help with watching Kate when Justin and I have conference functions to attend.  The first night we were there, Wednesday night, Justin and Papa participated in the BBQ cook off and placed third.  Kate went to dinner with Gigi and Granddaddy while I went with Justin to the BBQ dinner at the Caddyshack restaurant, located across the street from the hotel. 

Each day, we stuck to a simple routine.  We would shop or see the sights with Gigi and Granddaddy in the morning and after lunch, we all headed back to the hotel for Kate's nap.  After nap time, we took Kate to the pool for an hour or so before dinner. 

On Thursday night, Justin was able to join us for dinner so we went to The Columbia restaurant in downtown St. Augustine.  It's one of Justin's favorites, but I think we all enjoyed it.  Kate loved the music and danced every opportunity she had. 


Dancing by the fountain with her new sidekick, Minnie.  Minnie hasn't replaced Kitty, but she's a close second.  Kate now sleeps with Minnie and Kitty every night.

My handsome husband and sweet little girl.

On Saturday, we sweat our way through downtown St. Augustine again to see the Castillo de San Marcos.  I know Dad wanted to spend more time exploring downtown, but with a two year old our time was limited.  Thankfully, my dad is very understanding.  We were able to hear the canon fire and explore the entire fort before we decided it time to head back to the hotel.  
 
The girls - with our unexpected purchase of a new stroller.  On Friday, we had driven to Jacksonville for the day to shop and discovered we didn't bring the stroller with us!  Luckily there was a Babies R Us nearby and Gigi and Granddaddy purchased this as an early birthday present for Kate.   Whew.  Crisis averted.  I wished I had forgotten something cheaper like a sippy cup.

As always, I wish the trip could have lasted longer (or at least my time off of work) but all good things have to come to an end.  Thanks again Gigi and Granddaddy for everything! 

No comments:

Happy Father's Day!

I want to wish this special guy a Happy Father's Day!  One day Kate and Mason will realize how lucky they are to call him dad.  He coac...