Sunday, June 2, 2013

Kate's Swimming Lessons

This summer, I wanted to sign Kate up for swimming lessons.  I looked around town and decided to sign her up at the same place I took swimming lessons as a kid, Killearny Way Swim & Racket Club.  We just finished our two week lessons and Kate did a great job.  She can't swim on her own yet, but she's much more comfortable in the water and I'm hoping I can reinforce some of the skills she has learned throughout the summer.  There were only four kids in Kate's class - a total of two girls (3.5 and 4 years old) and two boys (4 and 5 years old).  Kate loved the idea that I took swimming lessons at the same place she was.  She would ask me each night if we were going back to "my pool".
Waiting for class to begin.

First night of lessons.  

Within a few lessons, Kate decided she needed a pair of "gobbles".  I wasn't sure if she would wear them, but once she put them on we couldn't get them off! On the last night, I finally took pictures during the lesson of her swimming.
 Showing off her "gobbles" and her crazy poses (I have no idea where these came from).





 Doing a "Bob" - going under water and then back up.

 Swimming with the kick board.

 Swimming with Ms. Olivia's help.  Kate figured out at the first lesson Ms. Olivia would let go when they got close to the wall so Kate would constantly ask her "Are you going to let go of me?!".  By week two, the question became a demand, "Don't let go of me!".  I was worried it might make Kate afraid but she was a brave girl at each lesson.
 Despite her fears of being let go of, Kate did a wonderful job at swimming lessons and I was so proud of her! 
 Her certificate of completion.
 Great job Kate!

No comments:

Happy Father's Day!

I want to wish this special guy a Happy Father's Day!  One day Kate and Mason will realize how lucky they are to call him dad.  He coac...