Friday, November 25, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Kate and I had a great Thanksgiving, although we weren't able to celebrate it with daddy.  The stomach bug has been going around (Mimi and Gigi recently had it) and Justin caught it late Wednesday night.  I knew he felt bad when he passed on hunting Thursday morning and spent the rest of the day in bed.   Mimi and Papa brought him a plate later that afternoon while Kate and I spent the rest of the day at Gigi and Granddaddy's. 

I am so blessed that I am able to share the holidays with both families.  Nanny, Mimi and Papa, Uncle Jordan and Aunt Katie all came over to my parent's house for Thanksgiving.  We shared some of our favorite Thanksgiving memories growing up and I hope our current tradition is one that continues. It was special hearing everyone's Thanksgiving memories including:
- Nanny's family ate chicken instead of turkey
- Papa's family camped and ate their Thanksgiving meal in the woods.
- Mimi's family usually had a friend or two join them for Thanksgiving
- Dad's family would come up to Tallahassee and celebrate Thanksgiving with my great-grandparents.
- Mom shared one of her favorite Thanksgiving's when I was little and both sets of grandparents and the preacher and his wife all celebrated Thanksgiving together.
- Aunt Katie remembers helping her grandmother stir the very important gravy while her dad commanded the kitchen since he's the Thanksgiving cook.
- Jordan's (worst?) Thanksgiving memory was the year he had his wisdom teeth removed six days earlier and was still not able to eat on Thanksgiving.
- My Thanksgivings are still the same as I remember them.  Our family has grown and others are not with us anymore, but I remember having Thanksgiving at my parent's house with my grandparents and great-grandmother.  One recent Thanksgiving memory I have is Kate's first Thanksgiving when she was only two months old.  I had just sat down to eat and Kate woke up from her nap at the exact same time.  We passed her around the table and while Justin was holding her, she unexpectedly pushed back from him and he almost dropped her in the mashed potatoes on his plate.  This year, we planned it so Kate ate early (her Thanksgiving meal was a couple bites of turkey, cheese and grapes) and she went down for her nap while the rest of us ate.  Perfect timing.

Kate would announce who had the privilege of pulling her around the yard in the wagon.  Uncle Jordan was the fastest and Kate's first choice.  Then Mommy.




Wednesday night we had a special Thanksgiving devo instead of class and Tim started off with a question: "What would we have today, if we only had what we thanked God for yesterday?"  I have thought a lot about this question because honestly, some days I would have a lot, but most days I wouldn't have much.  God has blessed me with a wonderful husband, a beautiful little girl, a supportive family and incredible friends. My Thanksgiving resolution is to thank God every day for everything he has blessed me with.   

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving too!

No comments:

Happy Father's Day!

I want to wish this special guy a Happy Father's Day!  One day Kate and Mason will realize how lucky they are to call him dad.  He coac...