Friday, October 14, 2011

5 Year Anniversary

Today is our 5 year wedding anniversary and to celebrate, Justin and I are having a date night tomorrow night. Our plans are to go to dinner at Marie Livingston’s (using a Living Social Coupon) and possibly a movie (using a gift card). I can’t remember the last time we went out to dinner just the two of us so I am really looking forward to it!

In our Wednesday night bible class, we have been talking about marriage and relationships, and the topic this past week really made me think. The bible verse we studied was Philippians 2: 3-4 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. Our teacher (Tim Stutzman) suggested to replace the word “other” with our spouse’s name. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value JUSTIN above yourself, 4 not looking to your own interests but … to the interests of JUSTIN.

Although the context of these verses is not specifically referencing marriage, the same lesson can be applied. They become much more personal when I replace “others” with “Justin”. I kept reading these verses during class and thinking about how I could apply this mindset to my marriage. Tim’s point was instead of looking at marriage as a series of compromises, we need to view it as a series of sacrifices. I have heard the saying that marriage is all about compromise (and there are some cases where that is true) but the idea that a biblically based marriage is all about sacrifices was overwhelming at first (if I’m being honest). Sacrifice is such a powerful word compared to compromise. I have family and friends who have made great sacrifices (which mine pale in comparison to) and I think I now have a better idea of how they endured those challenging times and their marriage survived –an attitude of “sacrifice” (and faith in God). I started thinking about personal sacrifices that Justin and I have had to make over the years for each other and I am so thankful (and blessed) that I have a husband who is willing to make sacrifices for me and our family.

In honor of our anniversary, I'm including one of my favorite pictures from the wedding.

1 comment:

Sabrina said...

I really liked this post Rebecca. Tim always has a way of phrasing something to make you really think:)

Happy Father's Day!

I want to wish this special guy a Happy Father's Day!  One day Kate and Mason will realize how lucky they are to call him dad.  He coac...