Monday, March 28, 2011

18 Month Checkup

Kate received a good report at her 18 month checkup and the best part - no shots!!  I asked for her stats from her 15 month check up as well as her 18 month since Justin forgot to get them at her last appointment.

15 Month Checkup
Height: 29 3/4 inches (20th percentile)
Weight: 21 pounds, 1 ounce (20th percentile)
Head Circumference: 45.5 cm (40th percentile)

18 Month Checkup
Height: 31.5 inches (35th percentile)
Weight: 22 pounds, 15 ounces (20th percentile)
Head Circumference: 46 cm (35th percentile)

I think we cheated on the height - but it's hard when Kate is squirming all around.  Each time we go, the nurse writes her stats on a piece of paper labeled "Normal Development: XX Months Old".  I'm always interested in reading through the list to see what Kate has and hasn't mastered.

Here are some examples:

1. Begins to Eat with Fork.  Check!



2. Enjoys imitating parents.  Check!  She loves to brush her hair like Mommy.

We tried out a new hairstyle.  Justin doesn't like it, but I think it's cute?!

3.  May favor father.  No doubt.  Justin usually gets her out of bed in the mornings, so if I go in there, the first word out of her mouth is "Daddy?". 

4.  Walks backward a short distance.  Kate hasn't tried this yet, but it would probably be funny to watch.

5. Speaks 3 to 50 words.  Check, she's right on track with her language development. 

6.  May show strong attachment to a toy or blanket.  Check! We don't leave home without Kitty.

7. Responds to simple requests ("Bring me your book").  Yes, I will brag that Kate is a good listener and recently I have experienced three reactions to my request to "Come here".  1. She willing does it.  2. She looks at me and sits down and 3. She bows her heard and starts crying while walking towards me.

8. Uses a few two-word combinations.  Kate hasn't done this yet, but we've got something to work on before her 2nd birthday.

Trying to avoid a temper tantrum, I let her stand in the big girl chair at the doctor's office.  Some battles aren't worth fighting and this was one of them.  I was proud she said "Hi" and "Bye" to Dr. Elzie and behaved long enough for me to have a decent conversation.


I hope we don't have to go back until her next well checkup appointment in September!







2 comments:

Melanie said...

LOVE the new hairdo. . .it is soooo cute! Of course, she needs a super-sized hot pink & zebra print bow in that itty bitty ponytail! :)

Ashleigh-Anne: said...

I love the ponytail hair-do!! So cute!! :) Kate seems like a smart, healthy girl to me!

Happy Father's Day!

I want to wish this special guy a Happy Father's Day!  One day Kate and Mason will realize how lucky they are to call him dad.  He coac...