Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Memorial Day 2017

We went down to Naples again this year to visit with family and celebrate Memorial Day.  We left Friday mid afternoon at 3:00 and arrived late Friday night (around 10pm).  The traffic was heavy but we only encountered one major slow down in Gainesville so we couldn't complain. On Saturday, we got up and went to visit Gaga at her new place.  She recently moved into an assisted living facility (out of a nursing home) and now has an individual studio apartment.  It was a beautiful facility and an ideal living situation for Gaga.  Aunt Linda met us over there and the six of us enjoyed lunch together at Chicken Salad Chick! 
 After lunch, we went out to the Naples Airport to see the Military Museum display.  Unfortunately it was closed so we went to the Train Depot instead.  It was really neat to see all the historical Naples displays and for the kids to see the inside of a train (similar to the train at the Tallahassee Museum). Daddy took Mason's picture in front of the swamp buggy "Tumble Bug" (the man who built it was a friend of Daddy's Granddaddy - neat!). 
 After our sightseeing, we headed out to Pa and John's house.  The kids enjoyed playing on the huge pile of rocks and Aunt Linda and Gaga later joined us out there for a hot dog dinner.  Yum!

We always enjoy spending time with Pa!

On Sunday, we squeezed in some swimming at the hotel that afternoon, a little bit of shopping at the outlets and later had dinner with Aunt Linda and Gaga at one of our favorite restaurants, Fernando and the Bull (Cuban)!

I have to mention one scary event we had while at the Doubletree hotel (where we usually stay).  Mason was standing near the automatic sliding doors, waiting on Justin to bring the car around to pick us up.  All of a sudden I heard him screaming and I saw his arm wedged in between the glass and the automatic door. I tried to pull on the sliding door enough to free his arm with no success.  I quickly ran into the hotel lobby and asked for help (trying my best to stay calm).  This sweet woman (a guest at the hotel too) came over and manhandled the door enough for Mason to free his arm.  She calmly asked me if I needed ice or a cold compress.  Mason's arm appeared to be fine and I told her over and over "thank you" while comforting Mason.  I was proud of myself for not falling apart...until we got into the car.  I was shaking after it was all over and Mason just sat in the car, furiously sucking his thumb.  Poor little guy!  My mind kept flashing to his little face with fear in his eyes as if to say "Help me!  Do something!".  I felt like a failure when I couldn't get the door pried open enough but I'm proud I had enough sense to seek help quickly and to remain calm.  Whew.  It all happened so fast and I know Mason and I will be more cautious around automatic doors in the future.  I was told they have sensors that prevent adults getting injured but most of the time they are not strong enough for children. 

But back to the pleasant things about our trip...Monday morning, we attended the Memorial Day Service at the Naples Memorial Gardens where Gaga was once again a guest of honor.  She has been very active in starting a Southwest Florida Chapter for Gold Star Mothers in Naples and is an amazing woman!  At the ceremony, they presented Gaga with a flag that she accepted on behalf of all the Gold Star Mothers.  It was a surprise to all of us! I wish I had known so I could have recorded it but it was such an honor to be present and witness the event. 
 The signs on each of our chairs at the ceremony. 
 Kate helped me picked out our cute matching outfits!
 Florida's Oldest Gold Star Mother.  
 Gaga mentioned that she and I have no pictures together so we took care of that!  
Proud to be a part of her family.  

So honored that we could attend and support Gaga at one of the many events she is a part of. We are thankful for all of those who have served and those who serve today.  God Bless America!

No comments:

Happy Father's Day!

I want to wish this special guy a Happy Father's Day!  One day Kate and Mason will realize how lucky they are to call him dad.  He coac...