Friday, October 18, 2013

7 Year Anniversary

Monday, Justin and I celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary.  It’s hard to believe it has been 7 years that we have been married and almost 10 years since we started dated.  He has seen me at my worst and seen me at my best and still loves me no matter what.  We haven’t had the money to do a big anniversary trip since our first year anniversary, but this year Justin came up with a surprise that was better than any extravagant trip – a night by myself!
This past year has been difficult for both of us for several reasons and things got a little more challenging when Justin went back to work.  It’s just hard to keep up with life when both of us are working, we have two kids to take care of and everything still has to get done once we get home at night – lunch made, laundry washed, dinner cooked, kids bathed, grass cut, grocery shopping done, bills paid, etc.  These things are never ending.  Plus, there are additional week night or weekend activities with friends and family, school events and attending church, there never seems to be enough time in the day to get everything done.  On a bad day, I just want to escape from it all.
One particular night I was feeling overwhelmed.  It was just one of those weeks that seemed like I couldn't catch a break.  So, Justin secretly arranged a special night where I could have the house all to myself!  He knew exactly what I needed and it was perfect.  I had no clue about anything but it started Monday morning with a flower delivery.  On the card it read “Don’t make plans for this weekend.  Love, Justin”.  I wasn't sure what that meant but we had been talking about not committing ourselves to anything that weekend and just spending time as a family so I thought it was a sweet reminder of our agreement.
Friday afternoon, Justin picked up the kids like normal but when I got home, I noticed his truck wasn't in the driveway.  I thought it was odd, but I figured he had either parked in the backyard or was running an errand.  But, when I walked inside, all I heard was silence. Then, I noticed a huge basket on our dining room table that was full of my favorite things – a Red Elephant gift card for dinner, a cupcake from the Cake Shop,  Dunkin Donuts for breakfast, a gift certificate to a manicure and pedicure from Royal Nail Spa (something I hadn't done in a year) and a letter from Justin.  I immediately started crying as I read his letter.  He told me it was my night off – he and the kids were staying at his parent’s house (while they were out of town) and that I could do anything I wanted except for clean (he knows me too well). He set up an appointment for me at 1:00 that Saturday afternoon to get my nails done and the earliest I would hear from them would be 3:00 on Saturday.  Although this was my first “staycation” I hope it’s not my last.  Friday night and Saturday was exactly what I needed to recharge.  It was wonderful eating dinner at 6:30 with no interruptions, watching a movie, sleeping in on Saturday morning, and just enjoying the peace and quiet.  Aahhh.   
I know it was a lot of work for Justin to organize my special night and to take care of the kids.  I can never thank him enough for the perfect (early) anniversary gift.  I don’t think he planned it as an anniversary gift, but it was to me.  Not only do I have a wonderful husband but he's also my best friend.  I love him more than words can express!

And don’t worry, we also celebrated our anniversary together the following Saturday night at Carrabbas – where else?!    

Happy Anniversary Justin!

No comments:

Happy Father's Day!

I want to wish this special guy a Happy Father's Day!  One day Kate and Mason will realize how lucky they are to call him dad.  He coac...