Saturday, October 17, 2015

Kate's 1st (and last?) Root Canal

Poor Kate had to have a root canal last week.  The dentist had told us she had a cavity at her last appointment and referred us to a pediatric dentist (Dr. Long at Smileworks) to have it filled.  I really like Dr. Long and Kate seemed to enjoy being there.  They had several large stuffed animals with full sets of teeth that the kids could brush and floss - Kate loved them.


Giving me her best tiger impression.

We went for a consultation a couple days prior to the procedure to meet the doctor and take X-rays.  Dr. Long warned us she might need a root canal because the cavity was big and near the nerve.  I didn't say much to Kate before hand because I didn't want her to get nervous about a procedure she might not have.  Justin took her to the dentist that morning and called me at lunch saying they were home and Kate was a champ.  He told me they ended up having to do the root canal (had no idea they did those on little kids) and she was mad that the gas made her nose bleed.
 
My heart hurt for her and I stayed home with her the following day. Her face was swollen and she had huge sores in her mouth that kept her from eating anything other than popsicles and yogurt. 
 
Later that day...still numb: 
 The next day:
Hopefully this was her first and last root canal.  We are working hard on flossing every night to avoid having another one of these!

No comments:

Happy Father's Day!

I want to wish this special guy a Happy Father's Day!  One day Kate and Mason will realize how lucky they are to call him dad.  He coac...