Thursday, March 6, 2014

Life Lately

I can't believe it's been close to a month since my last post.  These past few weeks have been less than ideal, but we still managed to have some fun in between sicknesses.  Mason, Kate and Daddy all shared the stomach bug over the past two weeks but I managed to steer clear of it - whew! Mason also had a terrible rash that is just now clearing up after two weeks.  Between all the colds, fevers, and stomach bugs I've lost track of who had what and when.  My sick leave is long gone but thankfully I have a little bit of annual leave to try to carry me through until September.
 She still managed a smile despite having a terrible stomach bug.  Poor girl.

The kids are growing up so fast and I'm reminded of it daily.  We bought Kate a new car seat last month so Mason is finally forward facing.  He loves facing forward and it content to suck his thumb and stare out the window wherever we go.  
For everyone that knows how hard I tried to get Mason to take a pacifier (and failed), you can appreciate why these next two pictures just make me laugh.  

For some reason, he will randomly put a pacifier in his mouth and act like he's used it all his life.  So weird!

This boy is also becoming more stubborn and dramatic the older he gets.  He is into everything that Kate never was (cabinets, toilets, trash can, climbing on furniture) and he will scream, hit, or even bite to keep us from stopping him from having "fun".  
Mad because I wouldn't give him my phone.
Being bad.
Climbing and grinning at me because he knows he shouldn't do it!  But we got the last laugh...
Stuck.
"Super hungry" sums up Mason's appetite. Lord have mercy this kid can eat. 
Refusing to come inside - he sat down and wouldn't budge.

On the other hand, Mason is also the sweetest boy when he wants to be.  He constantly wants to be held. Constantly. I thought he would have outgrown that by now but apparently not.  He still doesn't say a word other than mamma, dadda and uh-oh, but Kate is his personal interpreter so why would he need to learn anymore words?!

Kate is also getting too big too fast.  Last night as we were getting out of the car at church, she told us "I'm going to stand here by you people so I don't get squashed by a car".  You people? Where did that come from?  One morning when I dropped her off at school, I reminded her to be a sweet friend and play with her friends and she replied "But Mommy, sometimes I just want some alone time".  She will also tell me "I've had a rough day" when I ask her how her day was at school.  Note to self...Kate is listening to every word we say. :)
Such a diva.  She announced she couldn't walk and get her pretty shoes wet so Uncle Jordan carried her to our car. 
Showing off her "pretty princess ballerina hair".  
It's a miracle I have been able to style her hair in anyway other than a small side ponytail, but most of the time there's a lot of negotiating between Kate and I before a hairstyle is decided upon.  She's surprisingly quite good at negotiating. 

Kate is also starting to do chores - make her bed, get dressed, brush her teeth and clean up her toys.  Justin and I are so proud of how well she does these things.  She was rewarded last week with a new palace pet (Cinderella's puppy Pumpkin) because she had been such a big helper! Kate has been struggling lately to put on her socks but last week she worked hard and figured out how to do it!  I was so excited for her!
Kate is also entering the phase of wanting to pick out her own clothes.  Most of the time she does a good job (with some coaching from me) but sometimes it's a hoot just seeing what she comes up with.  I have to get her credit that this outfit matched, the only problem was it was a high of 50 degrees that day.  Oh well. One of Kate's pet peeves is long sleeves and she will always push her sleeves up above her elbows.  If the sleeves won't go above her elbows, she refuses to wear the shirt. It drives me crazy!!  I checked all these pictures to see if she's wearing just one long sleeved shirt that's not pushed up.  There's not. 

My 4 year old is also becoming quite the artist.  She loves to paint.


Ta da!

I have (finally) scheduled Kate's first dentist appointment for September!  She went with me last week to my appointment and sat in the chair the entire time like a perfect angle watching the dental hygienist work on my teeth.  She told me she liked the mirror (or mir-e-or as Kate says it) but didn't want the scraper in her mouth.  Sorry sweetie.  It's going to happen.
 After the dentist, I treated her to a cupcake from the Cake Shop for being on her best behavior.

 Chocolate smile!

A couple weeks ago I washed my car with my two little helpers and couldn't resist taking a couple pictures. Kate was so excited to help me and poor Mason still had the bad rash, but that didn't stop him from having fun in the water despite the very cool temperatures.

Dedicated - she helped me from start to finish.
All clean!

The kids are also starting to play really well together.  I love it!   


Last Saturday, we took full advantage of everyone feeling better and had a full day of fun.  The kids and I had a Chick-fil-a picnic lunch at the park with the Mundies and then we headed over to my parents' house for an impromptu family night.  We had a great time playing outside and enjoyed the beautiful weather. 


 Playing in the toy wagon.

 And a hard day of play means bath time for all the cousins!  

It's the simple things in life that make it so fun!  

I'm crossing my fingers that we will have another great sick-free weekend!

No comments:

Happy Father's Day!

I want to wish this special guy a Happy Father's Day!  One day Kate and Mason will realize how lucky they are to call him dad.  He coac...