Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Labor Day Weekend

I have got a lot of catching up to do! Where to begin? We managed to accomplish a lot over Labor Day Weekend (and spend a lot of money). It's feels like so long ago it's hard to remember what we did. 
 
On Friday night we took the kids to the first Downtown Get Down of the football season.  We hadn't been in years so it was nice to have a family night of fun. We only stayed an hour or so since the first event was not as kid friendly as it used to be.  Still, the kids had a great time eating snow cones, getting their faces painted and picking out balloon animals. 
 Cute little Seminoles ready to party.
We couldn't get Mason to take a picture with the cheerleaders - he will regret that one day.  Haha.
 Look who we ran into - Uncle Jordan and the rest of the family! 
 Kate the Tiger with her balloon rabbit.
 Mason refused (again) to get his face painted but he did request a balloon puppy.
 Look who else we met up with!

 
On Saturday, we started furniture shopping. We had been planning to move Mason's room into the office (the bigger bedroom) which meant we had to shop for different (smaller) office furniture.  We have also been in desperate need of a new mattress since ours is going on ten years old and I end up sleeping on the couch several nights a week.  It's sad when your hand-me-down couch provides better support than your pillow top mattress.
 
Anyway...we headed up to Turner's Furniture near Thomasville on Saturday morning.  Since it was Labor Day weekend, I knew there would be plenty of sales around town. One thing that drives me crazy is when you see something the very first place you check, go check a dozen more places, and then end up purchasing what you saw the first time.  That sums up our weekend. Ahhhhh!  The Mullinaxes invited us over to watch the game that night and we had a great time!  Mason came out at one point wearing this while playing with trucks...

Trucks and Tutus. 
This picture will resurface sometime in the future. :)
 
Sunday was our day of rest - sort of.  I took this picture of the girls in bible class.  They are quite the trio. 
Since Kate's birthday party was the following Saturday, mom helped me create these adorable aprons for all her friends.  I bought three packs of 5 multi-colored kids aprons at Michaels (making multiple purchases in order to use the 40% coupon each time) and I copied a design a saw on Etsy and created the personalized images.  If you need any iron-on transfer designs, I'm your girl.  That's the one thing I like about tackling these kinds of projects, it forces me to learn new things.  It took me several hours and a few You Tube videos to learn how to do it, but I finally succeeded! It also took us several attempts to get the iron-ons looking blemish free but Mom figured that out!
Sunday night we pulled out the kids tent and sleeping bags and let them "camp" in the office.  They were loving life.  It's so sweet to see them get excited about little things like that. We heard lots of giggles and talking coming out of that room until 10:00 when they finally passed out.

Best way to camp in my book - indoors. :)
 
Monday was the longest and most exhausting day.  We were up early and started shopping from store to store.  We bought paint for Justin's office, picked up the bed rails to convert Mason's crib to a full size bed, shopped around for mattresses and desks and then finally ended up back at Turner's at the end of the day to purchase the very first desk and mattress we saw.  I even purchased a dining room table and chairs that was on closeout.  It was a very unexpected purchase but we've been needing one for three years now.
 
While at JC Penny getting the bed rails, I remembered to pick up the pictures the kids took a couple months ago (oops!). 




This is how I felt by the end of the weekend too!
 
Did I mention Labor Day Weekend was also the weekend I decided to get rid of Mason's pull-ups?  FYI - furniture shopping and potty training do not go well together.  Yikes. Might not have been my best move but we survived.

No comments:

Happy Father's Day!

I want to wish this special guy a Happy Father's Day!  One day Kate and Mason will realize how lucky they are to call him dad.  He coac...